This guide provides advice on how to control your Energenie MiHome products using voice control with Amazon Echo and Alexa. It assumes the following:
- You have a MiHome Gateway installed and connected to the internet (Gateway not required for the MiHome WiFi plug) and an Energenie MiHome Account
- You have paired the Energenie MiHome products to your account and they are working through the Energenie MiHome App or web portal without issue
- You have an Amazon Echo device and it is functioning correctly,
- Your Amazon account is registered to the UK, and
- You have the the Amazon Alexa App installed on your phone.
The instructions and app screen images below may differ between devices and mobile operating systems, and versions of the Amazon Alexa App.
- Ensure that your Energenie MiHome gateway and associated devices are connected and online. If you have an Energenie MiHome WiFi Smart plug, ensure it has been paired to your MiHome account.
- From the Alexa app, select 'Skills & Games' from the drop-down menu
- Select the search bar at the top of the new screen and search for 'Energenie mihome'
- Select the 'Energenie Mihome' skill and then select 'Enable to use'.
Note - The Energenie MiHome skill is only available to UK amazon accounts. If you cannot find the skill, please refer to the FAQ/Troubleshooting guide at the bottom of the page
- A pop-up window will appear and you will be asked to login into your MiHome account
- After login to your MiHome account, you will be asked to give permission to Alexa to link your account. To do so, select 'Allow Alexa'
- The message 'Energenie MiHome has been successfully linked' will appear. Select 'Done' to close the pop-up window
- You will be returned to a page that allows you to discover devices. Select the 'Discover Devices' option and Alexa will learn all devices on your MiHome account
Frequently Asked Questions/Troubleshooting
Q. I can’t find the Energenie MiHome Skill
Answer: The Energenie MiHome skill is available only in the Amazon.co.uk market place customers. To check which market place your Amazon account is connected to please:
- Go to Manage Your Content and Devices (https://www.amazon.co.uk/mycd) and click ‘Preferences’
- Click ‘Country/Region Settings’ and the country/region that your Amazon account is registered to will be displayed. If United Kingdom is not displayed you will need to follow steps 3 onwards.
- Click Change.
- Select or enter your address, and then click Update.
- If you are eligible to purchase digital content from another Amazon website, follow the onscreen prompts to learn more about what will happen if you transfer accounts.
- When you're ready, select the option to transfer your account to complete the process.
Q: Can I change the name of my device for easier voice control?
Answer: Yes, log into your Energenie Mi|Home app. Choose the device you want to change and select manage. Next, go to the Alexa app and select discover devices. Once completed, your device can now be controlled with the given name.
Q: What voice commands can I use?
Answer: Alexa! Turn on kitchen lights
Alexa! Switch on bedroom lights
Alexa! Turn off office socket
Q: Can Alexa control groups?
Answer: Yes, Groups allow you to control multiple devices with one command. For instance, if you have two or more Energenie MiHome switches or adapters, you can create a group called Living room and then simply say Alexa, turn on living room.